Thursday, May 7, 2015

Congratulations Alex Rodriguez

Alex Rodriguez, who just hit his 661st home run tonight, has surpassed the all time great Willie Mays on the all time home runs list. It's been so rough for Alex these past few years, and I just feel so bad for him. Nothing, and I mean nothing, has gone right for Alex, and I feel he's just starting to realize everything that he did was wrong, and that he treated the game he loves, the wrong way. Last Friday, when Alex hit the home run to tie Willie Mays, he said that Willie Mays was his fathers favorite player, and right after he said that in an interview, tears started to run down his face. He even brought tears to my eyes. If, Alex didn't use steroids, he probably would have still been one of the greatest players of all time. He chose the wrong path, and he only put himself into an 0-2 count. From 2014 to 2015 was probably Alex's biggest point in his life. Not when he just made the big leagues, or he just joined the Yankees, but when he had to finally realize that he was mistreating the game that he loved. Yes, even without steroids he was still a jerk, but 2015 is different. He is saying all the right things to the media, and is handling himself very well. It's not just pure luck that Alex has been doing well in 2015 - It's because he loves to play baseball. After the home run today, and all the Yankees fans cheered for him, and asked for a curtain call, it looked like he was going to burst into tears right on the field. For the first time in over a year, Alex has gotten a standing ovation. The Red Sox fans treated him like garbage, and the fan that caught the ball wouldn't give it up, even for David Ortiz memorabilia! Are you kidding?! I understand that he's a Red Sox fan, but that's just not right. If I caught David Ortiz's 500th home run, I definitely wouldn't give it up for free, but I would definitely give it to him. If the guy that caught Alex's home run still had it, I would even trade it. I'm sure he would give up the ball if that were the case. My respect for Red Sox fans has just gone from 1/10, to -1/10, but of course all the Red Sox bloggers here are terrific. I really hope a Yankees fan catches Ortiz's 500th home run, that would be great. The Red Sox did try and get the ball from the fan, and even offered him some David Ortiz memorabilia, which apparently was the end of the world for Ortiz. That was a little different with Derek Jeter's 3000th hit, which Yankees fan Christian Lopez caught. He didn't ask for anything, just to give it to Jeter in person. I hope that baseball fans realize that Alex Rodriguez is trying to fix what seems unfixable, which is disrespecting the game. He could have just sat down and said he was done with baseball, but he didn't, and he's earning a lot of respect from many Yankees fans. I hope that Alex has a great year, and go Yankees.

3 comments:

  1. nice post. I agree about rodriguez. He did his time and to come back to the game after being out an entire season and play the way he has, at his age is pretty amazing. As A die hard Sox fan I can respect his talent...I would have given him the ball.

    ReplyDelete
  2. my feeling has changed a little about him the last few months.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In December I had plans on booing him when I went to a Yankees game. That has definitely changed - He has said all the right things, and has proven to the fans that he wants to play.

    ReplyDelete