Monday, June 8, 2015

Second Card Of My First BGS Submission - Henderson Alvarez

I'm not really sure what this card is going to get, but I'm hoping it get's a 9.5/10. I'm always hoping, that a card gets a gold label, but this card is right in the middle. 

I didn't write much about this card at the time, and I'm not really sure why to be honest. The edges and corners looked great on this card, but the corners and the centering are what brought this grade down. I was really surprised by the surface of this card, as it got an 8.5. I'm not really sure why, but the surface and centering of the cards are the two sub-grades I don't check when I review a card. I was really pulling for a 9.5/10 on this card, but I'll definitely take a 9/10, especially considering it's such a thick card, although I would have loved a 9.5/10! 

The card is numbered only /5 which is nice, and the patch is really cool also, even though I'm pretty sure it's from an all star game workout jersey. Back in 2013, Alvarez threw a no-hitter, but it wasn't just an, "everyday," no hitter, it was one of the coolest no-hitters you'll ever see. He held the Tigers to 9 no hit innings, but neither team had scored any runs. With the bases loaded, and 2 outs in the
bottom of the 9th inning, with one wild pitch, the Marlins walked off the Tigers. How cool is that? Of course there are better no-hitters out there, but in my mind, that's awesome! 

A better look at the grade. I'm really surprised that the edges earned a 10, since it's such a thick card, but a 9/10 overall is definitely not a bad grade in my mind. 
<><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Thank you for reading! 

2 comments:

  1. Cool card, I've always been a fan of obscure or lesser-known players with unique history like that no-hitter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep the results coming. Congrats on the nine

    ReplyDelete