Monday, May 25, 2020

2009 Postseason memories...

I can't exactly say I was a true Yankees fan back in 2009. At the time I was only 8 years old, and although I kept up with the Yankees, trying to watch every single game wasn't one of my top priorities.

I was actually on a cruise with my family in 2009 when the World Series was going on, so I never got to watch any of the games. I DID see some live action at some bars on the cruise ship, but that was as close as I got to experiencing World Series baseball. Yankees, World Series baseball that is. 

They actually did sell some Yankees merch on the ship after the Yankees won the World Series, and ironically enough, we had a layover in Philadelphia coming home. So of course my dad and I had to wear our Yankees shirts in the Philly airport. 

Alex Rodriguez's performance in the 2009 postseason was unforgettable. Some could make the argument that the Yankees wouldn't have won the World Series if it wasn't for A-Rod's heroics, and that still remains true in my eyes. Was it worth all the extra baggage that he came with? Some really horrible seasons?

When A-Rod re-emerged in 2015, he still remained one of my favorite players to watch. A couple years later I got the opportunity to meet him at the National Sports Collectors Convention, and although it wasn't exactly an ideal interaction with A-Rod (And J-Lo), I still admire A-Rod for how he virtually turned his entire career around.

2016 was a rather forgettable season, but being at A-Rod's last game on that stormy Bronx night remains engraved in my mind. 


No comments:

Post a Comment