Sunday, November 30, 2014

White Plains Card Show And Meeting John Smotlz

I just got back from the White Plains Card Show, and it did not disappoint!

I got there around 11:30 (it started at 10) and had to go around the back entrance where the dealers enter, since it was downstairs. Getting there took about an hour and a half which isn't too bad. Meeting John Smoltz was definitely the highlight, and also the first thing I did.

Since I was in a wheelchair, I got to skip the whole line (which wasn't too long, but I sort of felt bad doing it) so I was second for John Smoltz. I saw the first person who went up to him, and he he (John Smotlz) didn't smile. I had him sign a ball and a photo, since I forgot to order the Jersey which was a little painful for me. I asked him to personalize both items for me, which he did! I forgot what exactly he said, but he was very nice! I thought of him signing my cast, but didn't ask him.

I honestly don't even know which item I like better. It would be the photo by far, but there is a smudge at the end of the autograph which is a little disappointing.


The ball turned out great!


Now onto the cards!

I managed three 1/1's which is pretty good, and scored some pretty good deals, while keeping a low budget and trading some cards!

I looked around for while until something caught me eye. It was this pink Adam Warren /35 in a one row box! I saw it for a pretty good price, so I knew there had to be some more treasures to dig for. 

I saw a million other Adam Jones cards in the box, but this one seemed good enough for my liking, and cheap enough. I'm not really a Jones collector, although he is a very good player. The next card is my favorite of the three cards I got from this particular dealer.

Yangervis Solarte was probably my favorite player when he was on the Yankees. I have no autographs of him, but this sure makes up for that! I thought that since I have the 1/1 parallel, (If you didn't notice) I might as well go for the rainbow! It's not a whole lot, and will probably be pretty cheap, so what the heck. This is the first 1/1 of three that I traded/bought.


One of my goals was to get another strata autograph, and I did just that. Biggio was a very good player, and also had over 3,000 hits in his career with the Astros. Hopefully 2015 is the year he will be inducted into the Hall Of Fame.



My second 1/1 of the day was a Matt Cain triple relic! Cain is one of my favorite pitchers in the NL. I traded away one card and combined some cash for the Biggio, Cain, and the next card. Hopefully Cain can bounce back in 2015 and have another great season for the Giants!


Matt Kemp is also another one of my favorite players in the NL. He also happens to be on my second favorite team, the Dodgers! It is also a 1/1, so I'll be trying to go for the rainbow for the Kemp and Cain. 


After looking around for some more cards, I decided to wheel my self back to the same dealer since I found nothing else that I liked.

Yes, more from 2014 Triple Threads! This was the last card I got for the day before I called it a day. Felix Hernandez isn't one of my favorite players, but is one of the best pitchers in the AL! It's too bad this card isn't a 1/1.


I spent most of my money at one dealer, so I guess this was a "thank you" and "get well" gift to me.

The guy was very nice and gave me this James Shields five star autograph free of charge! I almost pulled the trigger on this card earlier, but didn't. It's in my collection nonetheless!


A little surprise came later on. I thought of the idea of having John Smoltz sign my cast, so I asked the person how much it would cost to have him sign it. John Smoltz said he would do it for free, so he came up to me a signed my orange cast, not the blue one. It actually turned out better than I thought and he even wrote get well. We talked for a little while, he told me to feel better, than I left him alone. 


This is the cast that he signed



 Of course I had to buy a box of cards. Well, it wasn't really a box of cards, but it was a baseball. It was the bronx edition which was was sorta cool, but I'm not to familiar with the player. If you can't see the name, it's Bob Turley. He played with the Yankees for a couple years and won a cy young award, so he must have been a pretty good pitcher. Still, a pretty cool autographed baseball!


No comments:

Post a Comment