Wednesday, May 6, 2020

Did You Have ANY Doubt?

The picture on this card says it all.


I remember how badly I wanted to go to that game on September 25th of 2014. To be honest, I'm not exactly sure what stopped me from going to that game, but I ended up setting the night aside and watching the game in the living room with both my parents. In a year where the Yankees had virtually no shot at the postseason, the biggest, most important game of the year ended up being the one in which Derek Jeter would play his final game in pinstripes in the Bronx.

Everything had been set up so perfectly for Jeter to have been in that position in the bottom of the ninth. Derek Jeter had stretched his playing career as far as it could possibly go, getting a final shot at sending every single Yankees fan into a frenzy one last time.

I vividly remember sitting with my parents in the living room, our eyes fixated on the TV. I couldn't possibly imagine a scenario in which Jeter didn't finish his career in the Bronx with a walk off hit. 

And of course, Jeter finished his career with a walk off single; with me jumping up and down in my living room to the sound of Michael Kays voice. A moment in time that will forever be locked in my mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment